The Abruña group has over 25 years of experience in the in-situ and operando investigation of electrochemical interfaces using synchrotron radiation. These studies have been carried out locally at the Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source (CHESS), as well as at the Advanced Photon Source (APS) at Argonne National Lab and the National Synchrotron Light Source (NSLS) at Brookhaven National Lab. Initial studies probed the underpotential deposition of metals and halogens on single-crystal precious-metal electrodes using x-ray standing waves. Recently, structural and chemical changes in several battery and fuel cell materials including metal oxides and nitrides, elemental sulfur, germanium nanowires, alkaline anion exchange membranes, and organic/organosulfur molecules were investigated using powder x-ray diffraction, x-ray absorption spectroscopy, small-angle x-ray scattering and inelastic x-ray scattering. By using multiple complementary techniques, deeper insight into the dynamics of the system can be gained. Future studies will introduce new techniques such as x-ray Raman scattering, x-ray emission spectroscopy and a variety of x-ray imaging techniques to the group’s x-ray toolbox.
- Silberstein, Katharine E. et al. “Electrochemical Lithiation-Induced Polymorphism Of Anthraquinone Derivatives Observed By Operando X-Ray Diffraction”. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 17.41 (2015): 27665-27671. DOI: 10.1039/c5cp04201a
- Silberstein, Katharine E. et al. “Operando X-Ray Scattering And Spectroscopic Analysis Of Germanium Nanowire Anodes In Lithium Ion Batteries”. Langmuir 31.6 (2015): 2028-2035. DOI: 10.1021/la504382q
- Lowe, Michael A., Jie Gao, and Héctor D. Abruña. “Mechanistic Insights Into Operational Lithium–Sulfur Batteries By In Situ X-Ray Diffraction And Absorption Spectroscopy”. RSC Advances 4.35 (2014): 18347-18353. DOI: 10.1039/c4ra01388c
- Lowe, Michael A., Jie Gao, and Héctor D. Abruña. “In Operando X-Ray Studies Of The Conversion Reaction In Mn 3 O 4 Lithium Battery Anodes”. J. Mater. Chem. A 1.6 (2013): 2094-2103. DOI: 10.1039/c2ta01270g
- Augustyn, Veronica et al. “High-Rate Electrochemical Energy Storage Through Li+ Intercalation Pseudocapacitance”. Nature Materials 12.6 (2013): 518-522. DOI: 10.1038/NMAT3601
- Abruña, H. D. et al. “Is There Any Beam Yet? Uses Of Synchrotron Radiation In The In Situ Study Of Electrochemical Interfaces”. The Journal of Physical Chemistry 92.25 (1988): 7045-7052. DOI: 10.1021/j100336a005